It seems too early to be thinking about summer vacation. With March Break now firmly in the past, however, many local schools, recreation centres, arts organizations and so on are looking ahead. This winter may have felt like it would never end, but we know that simply isn’t true. With warmer days ahead, it’s time to start making plans. When it comes to summer camps the early bird gets the worm. No one wants to be scrambling around for kid-friendly Toronto activities at the last minute. Registration is already open for some summer programs, and for others it’s opening soon. If you want to have the luxury of being able to choose the best summer day camps in Toronto for your kids, now is the time to choose a program.
5 Tips for Kid-Friendly Toronto Summer Camps
How do you choose the right kid-friendly Toronto summer day camps, though? We have some tips to get you started:
- Ask around. No one knows this city better than Toronto moms, and that’s especially true when we’re talking about programs for kids. Your friends and neighbours are a veritable wealth of information if you want to hear what a particular camp is like from someone who’s been there, done that. Sometimes you can also get the inside scoop on day camps that may not be well-publicized if you tap into your word-of-mouth connections.
- Try something you can’t try at school. We all know how tight school budgets are. Schools simply can’t run all the special programs they’d like. With a broad variety of day camps on offer, summer is a great time for your kids to try something they don’t get to do the rest of the year. Your kids can explore the arts, sports, gardening, the great outdoors – the options are endless.
- Go with your child’s interests. If your child loves soccer, can’t get enough gymnastics, puts on plays for the whole neighbourhood, or is always holding a paintbrush, look for kid-friendly Toronto camps and activities that play to their strengths. If your child really loves something, they’re more likely to love a day camp that includes it. And don’t be afraid to sign up for more than one session: most camps vary the program slightly from week to week, so it’s always new and fresh.
- Make sure it fits your schedule. Summer day camps come in all shapes and sizes, from hour-long mini sessions to full-day affairs. If you’re using summer day camps for childcare, you’ll want to opt for something that fits your schedule. Ditto if you want to have lots of unscheduled time over the summer. Many camps offer before-and-after care for an additional fee, so be sure to ask about that if you need it.
- Check out the costs. Registration fees for summer day camps vary widely. Lovely as it would be if money were no object, that’s simply not the case for many Toronto moms. So work out your budget in advance, to help you decide on the summer day camps that will fit your family best.
What do you look for when you’re choosing kid-friendly Toronto summer camps for your kids? We’d love to hear!