Looking for arts and culture geared to the tiniest of participants? Then put the Wee Festival on your calendar stat This delightful festival, now in it third year, runs from May 11 – 21, 2018, and is the only arts fest dedicated to children’s early years.
The festival features a super kid-friendly line-up of events all created with the very young, from 0-6, in mind including circus arts, dance, puppetry, opera, theatre music and movement from international and local artists.
Artistic and Executive Director Lyda Hill believes that the littlest of kids deserve to be immersed or exposed to aesthetically-rich and stimulating arts.
How the Festival caters to families with young kids.
You can be forgiven for wondering if you child (or children) can actually manage a performance in a venue, but fear not, The Wee Festival knows exactly how to make it comfortable, welcoming and engaging for babies, tots and preschoolers.
- Many of the performances do not rely on language to tell the story, instead they combine music, light, design and movement for a fully-accessible experience for all young children.
- The maximum audience size islimited, as few as 16 spots in some cases and between 60 – 100 with other shows. This way every child can experience the magic of theatre up close!
- Most performances last between 30 and 45 minutes with time to explore and play afterwards.
- Every performance in the festival has played to young audiences around the world with great success. The performers are highly-trained and have extensive experience interacting with very young audiences.
- All participating venues in the festival are physically accessible. All festival staff are trained to ensure the most flexible, accommodating, and welcoming experience for every child, caregiver, and educator!
- Tickets are accessibly priced at a rate of $10 for schools and daycares, $15 for public performances or $25 for a parent/child ticket to our baby shows!
- All festival venues are breastfeeding friendly!
Get tickets to see a show at the Wee Festival
May 11-20, 2018